linksys smart wi-fi
Linksys routers are one of the best networking hardware in the market. They are among the most suitable routers for homes and small businesses. And all of these Linksys routers need to be logged in in order to reap the most benefits out of the router. Many users don’t even know about the login process and they go on to use their routers without ever logging in to them. But in order to get access to the advanced features of the router, the user needs to log in to it. Most users don’t know about the default IP addresses of their router and some find it troublesome to find the default IP address of their router. So, in order to make it easy for their users to log in to the routers, Linksys came up with a solution. Their routers can be logged in using the web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com. By typing the web address in the address bar of any web browser and entering the default information when prompted, the user can login to their routers and go on to customize their network. By logging in, the user can control, manage and even repair their network.
What is www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
The web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com is a service provided by Linksys to anybody who buys a Linksys router so that the user can log in to the router and get access to the advanced features of the router and configure their network. The user can now simply login to their router securely and tap into their home network even when the user is away from their home to check the connection status or change the username and password for their network, or if they wish to setup a Guest Network for any guests without affecting their main network and its contents or even restrict or limit any website or inappropriate content on their network. The user can even prioritize the devices that need more bandwidth in order to prevent any lags or buffering on a particular device.
Starting with your Linksys Router
The Linksys (linksys smart wi-fi)router when first plugged in and turned on, needs to be logged in in order to secure the network and access the advanced features on the router so that the user can customize their network without facing any troubles in the future. The setup and the login process are very easy and it usually takes only a couple of minutes. Only after the user has logged in to the router, can they access the advanced features and go on to customize their network as they desire. Here, we will show you the steps necessary to setup and login to the Linksys router, how to reset the Linksys router, how to change the username and password for the router and to update the firmware of the router as well.
How to setup and log in to the Linksys Router
There are some prerequisites required before setting up the router. They are:
- Make sure the modem is working fine.
- Make sure you possess enough Ethernet wires.
- Make sure the connections are made properly using the Ethernet wire.
Here are the steps to setup and login to your Linksys router:
- Connect the desktop computer to the WLAN port of the modem. Make sure the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Now, connect the desktop computer to any of the LAN ports of the router. Make sure the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Now, the default IP address is used to log in to the router. If you do not know the default IP address of the router, then you can just simply open up an internet browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar and hit enter. The router will recognize the domain name and redirect you to the login page automatically. Alternatively, you can type in the default IP address of the Linksys router which in most cases is 192.168.1.1. A login page will display.
- The login page will prompt you to type in the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is also “admin”. If by chance the default password isn’t working, then there is a chance that the user might have changed the password to something else. In that case, try logging in with any of the other passwords. If that fails as well, then the router needs to be reset in order to restore it back to the factory default settings.
- After you have logged in to the router, the setup page will appear. This is the web based interface of the router and the settings of the router can be changed here. The setup might be slightly different for different router models but the settings will be the same.
- Now, once you are in the setup page, change the Network Connection settings according to your Internet Service Provider. For cable broadband, the MAC address of the device needs to be cloned. For DSL internet service, you may need to change the PPPoE settings or the IP address of the router.
- Try to go online with your desktop computer. If you are not able to connect to the internet, then there is a chance that you might have missed something in the connection settings.
- If you are able to go online with your main computer, you can go on to change the settings for the wireless. From here on, you can simply follow the on screen instructions and setup a new username and password other than the default ones so that nobody can connect to your network without your permission.
How to reset the Linksys Router
There are instances where the router needs to be reset in order for it to work again. The user might have either lost or forgotten the password for their router or they want to power cycle or reboot the router. Here are the steps to reset the Linksys router:
There are two ways to reset the router. The first one is a manual reset.
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router. It may be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Settings. The option may vary for different router models.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press and hold the Reset button for about ten seconds.
- After holding down the reset button for ten seconds, release the button. The router will now reboot itself. After the power light has become stable, the reboot will be finished.
It is advised not to interrupt the reset process as it may corrupt the router and even render is unusable.
Another way to reset your router is via the web based setup page
- Login to the router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of an internet browser to access the routers web based setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Factory Default sub tab.
- Click the Restore Factory Default button under the Factory Default tab.
The LED lights will start blinking and then after a while, the power light will become solid. That means the router has been reset.
It is advised not to interrupt the process anyhow as it may render the router useless.
How to change the username and password for your Linksys router
It is advised that the user changes the username and password for their Linksys router so that nobody can connect to their network without their permission. Here are the steps required to change the username and password:
- Login to the Linksys router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of an internet browser to access the web-based setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Management section under it.
- Here, you will see the Router username and Router password.
- Set up a new username and password for your Linksys router.
- Click Save Settings.
Now, you can connect to your Linksys router with any device using the new username and password.
How to update the firmware of your Linksys Router
Updating the firmware of the Linksys router is a very important part as it helps in keeping the router up to date with the latest media devices coming out every now and then. The firmware update helps the new media devices connect with the router so that the user doesn’t have to go around buying a new router every time a new media device comes out. Keeping the firmware up to date makes sure the security on the router is up to date and is not vulnerable to any potential threats. All the sensitive information of the user passes through the router such as their banking details, their emails and passwords, their private information and more. So it is very important to keep the firmware up to date. The new firmware might also bring some new features to the router as well as bug or any issue fixes.
Here are the steps to update the firmware on the Linksys Router:
- Download the latest firmware from Linksys Support Site on your computer and save it to the desired location.
- Now, on an internet browser of your choice type www.linksyssmartwifi.com and press enter. A login page will display.
- Enter the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “admin” as well. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- Click on Administration and then click Firmware Update.
- Click Browse to look for the downloaded file.
- Locate and select the downloaded file from your computer. Click Open.
- Click the Start Update button to start the firmware update.
It is advised not to interrupt the process as it may corrupt the router and render it useless.
- Click Continue after the update is successful.
- Reboot the router so that the changes made can be implemented.
The firmware of your Linksys router will have successfully updated. You can now start using your internet as you desire.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered:
- How do I login to my Linksys router?
You can login to your Linksys router typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of a web browser and logging in using the default information.
- What is the default IP address of my Linksys router?
The default IP address of most of the Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1.
- How do I check for the Firmware update?
You can check for the firmware update by logging in to the router and accessing the web based setup page.
- Can I change the username and password for my router?
Yes, you can by following the on screen instructions on the web based setup page.
- Can I set up a Guest Network on my network?
Yes, you can setup Guest Network for any guests on your main network without letting them access your main network and its contents.
- If I reset my router, will I lose all my personalized settings as well?
Yes, if you choose to reset your router, you will lose all your personalized settings as well.
- Can I restrict any websites or any inappropriate content on my network?
Yes, you can restrict any inappropriate content or websites on your network using the Parental Control App.
- Can I recover my password if I lost it?
Yes, only if you have your password recovery enabled.
- Can I leave my router on indefinitely?
Yes, you can leave your router on for as long as you like.
What is the default information of Linksys router?
The default username and password are both “admin” for most of the Linksys routers.
Follow these instructions to change your broadcasting channel within your router through www.linksyssmartwifi.com.
- Open the browser with the help of www.linksyssmartiwfi.com. You also can type 192.168.1.1 on the URL of the browser to get to the web interface of the Linksys routers.
- Now, enter the login credentials and click on the Login button. If you have already set your credentials, then type those which you have set previously, otherwise type the default one.
- On the setup page, click on the Wireless tab and then go to the Basic wireless settings page.
- On the configuration section, Click on Manual radio button which will allow your wireless channel to set up the preference.
- Click on drop list arrow of the channel field and select the channel you want to fit within the field.
- Click on save settings button to keep the changes saved.
Frequency interference of other networking device
Interference of signals of other devices within your network issue cannot be prominently fixed by any particular alternative. But yea, the interference can be reduced with some adjustments. The user can make the changes in the network name along with the Wi-Fi password to reduce the interference within your server.
Follow these steps to change the SSID and Wi-Fi password within your Linksys Dual band AC1900 router
- Access the web interface of the router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com on the URL of the browser.
- It’s going to prompt you for typing down the credentials. Enter the username and the passphrase in the respective field.
- As soon as you click on the Login button, you get entered into the home page of the web interface.
- Now, go to Wireless then click on Basic wireless settings button.
- Select Manual and locate for the SSID, change it to your desired name within the Wi-Fi.
- Click on save settings button.
Pursuing the above steps, the interference of another signal within your service might get reduced.
Linksys firmware update also might resolve your issue, as sometimes the update of firmware within your router enhances the networking protocols, security mechanisms and administrative features within your router. It can be the major step to increase the efficiency of your Linksys router. Here are the steps to upgrade the firmware within your router.
- Before interacting with the interface of the Linksys, first, download your Latest firmware and keep it within your computer, somewhere safe and secure.
- Now, Launch the browser with www.linksyssmartwifi.com or you can also utilize 192.168.1.1 to get to the web interface.
- Enter the login credentials of your Linksys router. Type the default password, if you haven’t set your own password. The default password is the admin
- Click on the administration button and then Firmware upgrade.
- Click on Browser/Choose file button.
- Locate the file from the location where you have kept the download file.
- Click on the Upgrade button.
- Then, click on the continue button to initialize the process. After the termination of the process, the router will itself restart with the new firmware.
What are the steps for Linksys WRT160N Router setup and Linksys router login?
Linksys router setup is an essential process in making the Linksys device usable. However, the Linksys router setup can only be done when the user has successfully accessed the Linksys router login page either through the linksyssmartwifi.com web address or Linksys IP 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
STEP 1: Connecting to the router
- To connect to the router make use of an Ethernet cable and establish a connection between your router and computer.
- Power on your router.
- Open the web browser and type the IP address of the router. The default IP address of Linksys is http://192.168.1.1/.
- Users can also enter the web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com into the address bar of the browser instead of using the default login IP.
STEP 2: Enter your login information.
Once you have successfully accessed your Linksys router through the web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com. Read the below mentioned article for further configuration.
1. If you are setting your Linksys router for the first time, then you will be asked to enter the login credentials. The default login information is you have to leave the username blank and enter “admin” for the password. Or the username and password both can be “admin”.
STEP 3: Basic setup guide.
You have now entered the “Basic Setup” section of the router. You can leave the IP address of the router as the default 192.168.1.1. You can also set the Time Zone for your area.
STEP 4: Continue to the Wireless tab.
- You will notice that the configuration has two options: Manual or Wi-Fi Protected Setup. On selecting the manual radio button you will give your network a name or SSID (Service Set Identifier). SSID is basically how people will see your network’s name when trying to connect to your router. Do not use any name that does NOT identify you or your family.
- If you do not wish to advertise your wireless network then set the Channel Width to 20 MHz only and disables your SSID broadcast. Click “Save Settings.”
STEP 5: Clicking the Wireless Security link.
When you click this link you are basically setting the security for the wireless section of your network. Our recommendation is that you choose the strongest encryption method for your devices to use. Therefore, choosing WPA2 Personal is the best option. With this encryption, choose a passphrase that your wireless devices will use to access your wireless network. This information should not be shared with anyone. A passphrase of minimum 22 characters including spaces is recommended.
Ignore the advanced security link unless you face any range, signal or transmission issues. On this page, you will see a “Help” feature in the router. It is very important that you read and understand all the information before you make any changes to the listed defaults.
STEP 6: Select “Access Restrictions.”
You have to perform this step if you would like to add additional security for children or other users on your network. On this page, you will come across many options allowing you to restrict access by day, hour and for a personal computer.
Add the computers that you want to restrict by clicking on “Edit List” and by computers IP address, then select which day and hour you want to restrict by clicking on the checkboxes.
For the more advanced user, specific applications like Telnet and POP3 (email) can also be blocked.
STEP 7: Using the Applications and Gaming tab.
If you use the internet for applications that require port forwarding such as video games or torrent downloading software then only you need to proceed with this step.
Forwarding a specific port requires you to enter it in the External Port and Internal Port followed by putting the IP address of the specific computer that needs the ports in the specified slot. Remember to save after you make any change.
STEP 8: Set your router password on the Administration tab
It is through this password that will help you to make any changes in configuration. Enter the chosen password into both Router password slots.
- You must disable the Web Utility Access using the “wireless feature” button, as you don’t your router to be configured wirelessly.
- Select “Disable” for Remote Management to prevent configuration of your router from the public Internet.
- Disable UPnP as there are vulnerabilities if this feature is enabled. Click “Save Settings.”
STEP 9: Verify the connectivity and router
Click on the Local Network tab to verify the DHCP Client Table. This contains all users who are connected by cable or wireless to your router. Through this, you can verify if someone is connected to your router that should not be.
How can i convert Linksys WRT54G router to an Access Point?
Majority of the computer retailers offer the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router for about $49 and Wireless Access Points for $99. What is the point of wasting $50 if you can save them? You can very simply convert your wireless router to an access point to fulfill your need. We will not tell you how to create a wireless-to-wireless bridge, as many users misunderstand it to be. We will only guide you on how to add a simple wireless access point to your existing wired network.
Begin with a wired PC.
Write down your current network’s IP address. In this example, the existing router’s IP address was 192.168.0.1. There is no need for DHCP settings and subnet mask for this example. In case you Press and hold the RESET button have a different Linksys model then replace your network addresses in place of these settings.
Look at the back of your router carefully to remove the “Run CD First” tape. Make sure that you never ever connect any cable to the “WAN” port. Cover the “WAN” port socket with new tape to prevent you from trying.
Disconnect the existing network cable from your PC for some time. With the help of a new cable connect one end of it into the LAN port of the new Linksys router and insert the other end into the network jack of your PC.
Turn on the power of your router and you will see one or more LED lights are lit in the front of your router indicating that it has been successfully powered up.
Press and hold the RESET button on your LINKSYS router for 30 seconds. When you reset your router, all customized settings would be erased and the router will return to its factory defaults. If you have a new router and setting it up for the first time then you can have the reset step but if you suspect the router was used and resold to you, then resetting first will be a better option. Resetting your Linksys device will also enable you to access the setup page if you forget the login username and password. Your router’s manual will help you to find the location of the reset button because it varies depending on model to model. For the majority of routers, you can find the Reset button on the rear panel near the power jack.
Restart your PC so that it gets a new address from the new router.
After your PC reboots, launch the installed web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 or http://linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Feed in the Login ID = admin, and Password = admin. These are Linksys router factory defaults. If the IP Address 192.168.1.1 does not work, you can try 192.168.0.1 or the custom web address linksyssmartwifi.com instead. Your router’s manual also shows the default IP address for the router in case your router fails to produce a login page. Failure in displaying the login page can be due to the inability of the router to return back to its factory default during the reset procedure.
In the Wireless Configuration page start with configuring the wireless options, such as Wireless SSID. Make sure that the SSID matches with that of the primary router and the channel is different than that of the primary router.
When the Wireless security settings page is displayed in front of you, use “WPA-Personal” level security to a minimum, and a wireless security key should be at least 8 digits/letters long and you are done. Save the settings.
Return to your router’s main page and set the local IP address to an unused address on the original router’s network.
Disable the “DHCP” Server.
Save the settings and allow your router to restart.
Connect the cable from your existing network which you had disconnected earlier in previous steps into the LAN Port and allow your PC to reboot.
How to perform the port forwarding in a Linksys Router?
The following guided steps will help you to do so:
- Type the web address Linksyssmartwifi.com into your web browser.
- Key in the password “admin” in the password field.
- Look for the section “Port Range Forwarding” or similar listing.
- Add ports 6881 through 6889 and provide them a name such as so that you can easily remember them later.
- Do not close the page and go to the “Start” menu.
- Click on “Run”.
- Type in “cmd” and press Enter key.
- Type “ipconfig” and press Enter.
- Search for “IP Address”, and copy the last few digits.
- Go back to the web page and paste these digits in front of “IP Address”.
- Make sure to check all the boxes.
- Save settings and enjoy!
Best Overall Router- Linksys Max Stream EA7500
The main features of Linksys Max Stream EA7500 include:
- It is integrated with Amazon Alexa and also has dual-band Wi-Fi technology allowing the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands that add up to a total of 1,900 Mbps of total performance.
- It can support up to 12 devices at a single time.
- It uses beam forming technology through which it can focus Wi-Fi signal to each device, resulting in an increase in signal strength and overall stability.
- It can support three simultaneous data streams for faster speeds on each connected device which is very useful during 4K streaming and lag-free gaming.
- You can also monitor the Wi-Fi performance remotely, and you can also establish guest passwords for short-term users.
Best Budget Router: Linksys EA6350 Dual-Band+ Router
The main features of Linksys EA6350 Dual-Band+ Router are:
- It works with a max speed of 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band that adds up to 867 Mbps on the 5Gbps band on 802.11ac connections.
- You can enjoy uninterrupted streaming videos, online games and Web surfing with aplomb by the EA6350.
- Adjustable antennas for directing the signal strength to any area of a home and beam forming technology to identify online devices.
- Ability to send extra signal strength for faster overall network performance and increased range.
- Best Speed Router: Linksys WRT AC3200
- The WRT3200ACM includes Tri-Band technologies due to which this router can deliver double the bandwidth and dual-band performance to compete with any rival router.
- MU-MIMO technology is useful in increasing the signal strength across a home.
- The dual-band 5GHz performance helps to achieve maximum signal strength of 2.6 Mbps, while the 2.4GHz band can reach maximum signal strength of 600 Mbps.
- The inbuilt open source technology, allows the users to establish their own VPN connection, convert the router into a secure Web server.
- The user can also create and manage their own hotspots, capture and analyze network traffic.
- Best for Gaming: Linksys Max-Stream AC 4000 (EA9300)
- If you want to enjoy a lag-free gaming experience, then the Linksys Max Stream AC4000 tri-band router is no doubt the best for you.
- Not only do they have high-performing hardware, but the AC4000 routers also have six antennas to deliver a powerful signal across any large-sized home.
- Beamforming technology with nine high power amplifiers maximizes and extends signal strength across the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. This technology also helps to keep each device attached to a strong signal and to manage the Wi-Fi connection from the Linksys app.
- It has an internal 1.8 GHz quad-core CPU and three offload processors to help dial up the router’s total performance resulting in a maximum speed of 4 Gbps.
- It has an additional feature of updating the latest firmware automatically.
- Integrated with Amazon Alexa makes the AC4000 ideal for managing smart home hardware through a diverse set of voice commands.
- Beamforming technology helps keep each device attached to a strong signal and managing the Wi-Fi connection from the Linksys app has never been easier.
Best for streaming videos : Linksys -Max-Stream AC2200 (EA8300)
Whether it comes to 4K video streaming or watching the latest YouTube videos, the Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 is the best for video watchers.
- The quad-core CPU hardware and three offload processors work simultaneously to provide three high-speed Wi-Fi bands each with h a maximum speed of 2.2 Gbps.
- Increasing the streaming capabilities
- MU-MIMO+ Airtime technology
- The four external antennas for maximum signal strength across a medium-sized home
- Automatic firmware updates
- Amazon Alexa’s integration