linksys smart wi-fi
Linksys routers are one of the best networking hardware in the market. They are among the most suitable routers for homes and small businesses. And all of these Linksys routers need to be logged in in order to reap the most benefits out of the router. Many users don’t even know about the login process and they go on to use their routers without ever logging in to them. But in order to get access to the advanced features of the router, the user needs to log in to it. Most users don’t know about the default IP addresses of their router and some find it troublesome to find the default IP address of their router. So, in order to make it easy for their users to log in to the routers, Linksys came up with a solution. Their routers can be logged in using the web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com. By typing the web address in the address bar of any web browser and entering the default information when prompted, the user can login to their routers and go on to customize their network. By logging in, the user can control, manage and even repair their network.
What is www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
The web address www.linksyssmartwifi.com is a service provided by Linksys to anybody who buys a Linksys router so that the user can log in to the router and get access to the advanced features of the router and configure their network. The user can now simply login to their router securely and tap into their home network even when the user is away from their home to check the connection status or change the username and password for their network, or if they wish to setup a Guest Network for any guests without affecting their main network and its contents or even restrict or limit any website or inappropriate content on their network. The user can even prioritize the devices that need more bandwidth in order to prevent any lags or buffering on a particular device.
Starting with your Linksys Router
The Linksys (linksys smart wi-fi)router when first plugged in and turned on, needs to be logged in in order to secure the network and access the advanced features on the router so that the user can customize their network without facing any troubles in the future. The setup and the login process are very easy and it usually takes only a couple of minutes. Only after the user has logged in to the router, can they access the advanced features and go on to customize their network as they desire. Here, we will show you the steps necessary to setup and login to the Linksys router, how to reset the Linksys router, how to change the username and password for the router and to update the firmware of the router as well.
How to setup and log in to the Linksys Router
There are some prerequisites required before setting up the router. They are:
- Make sure the modem is working fine.
- Make sure you possess enough Ethernet wires.
- Make sure the connections are made properly using the Ethernet wire.
Here are the steps to setup and login to your Linksys router:
- Connect the desktop computer to the WLAN port of the modem. Make sure the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Now, connect the desktop computer to any of the LAN ports of the router. Make sure the connections are made properly on both ends.
- Now, the default IP address is used to log in to the router. If you do not know the default IP address of the router, then you can just simply open up an internet browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar and hit enter. The router will recognize the domain name and redirect you to the login page automatically. Alternatively, you can type in the default IP address of the Linksys router which in most cases is 192.168.1.1. A login page will display.
- The login page will prompt you to type in the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is also “admin”. If by chance the default password isn’t working, then there is a chance that the user might have changed the password to something else. In that case, try logging in with any of the other passwords. If that fails as well, then the router needs to be reset in order to restore it back to the factory default settings.
- After you have logged in to the router, the setup page will appear. This is the web based interface of the router and the settings of the router can be changed here. The setup might be slightly different for different router models but the settings will be the same.
- Now, once you are in the setup page, change the Network Connection settings according to your Internet Service Provider. For cable broadband, the MAC address of the device needs to be cloned. For DSL internet service, you may need to change the PPPoE settings or the IP address of the router.
- Try to go online with your desktop computer. If you are not able to connect to the internet, then there is a chance that you might have missed something in the connection settings.
- If you are able to go online with your main computer, you can go on to change the settings for the wireless. From here on, you can simply follow the on screen instructions and setup a new username and password other than the default ones so that nobody can connect to your network without your permission.
How to reset the Linksys Router
There are instances where the router needs to be reset in order for it to work again. The user might have either lost or forgotten the password for their router or they want to power cycle or reboot the router. Here are the steps to reset the Linksys router:
There are two ways to reset the router. The first one is a manual reset.
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router. It may be labeled as Reset or Restore Factory Settings. The option may vary for different router models.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press and hold the Reset button for about ten seconds.
- After holding down the reset button for ten seconds, release the button. The router will now reboot itself. After the power light has become stable, the reboot will be finished.
It is advised not to interrupt the reset process as it may corrupt the router and even render is unusable.
Another way to reset your router is via the web based setup page
- Login to the router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of an internet browser to access the routers web based setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Factory Default sub tab.
- Click the Restore Factory Default button under the Factory Default tab.
The LED lights will start blinking and then after a while, the power light will become solid. That means the router has been reset.
It is advised not to interrupt the process anyhow as it may render the router useless.
How to change the username and password for your Linksys router
It is advised that the user changes the username and password for their Linksys router so that nobody can connect to their network without their permission. Here are the steps required to change the username and password:
- Login to the Linksys router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of an internet browser to access the web-based setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Management section under it.
- Here, you will see the Router username and Router password.
- Set up a new username and password for your Linksys router.
- Click Save Settings.
Now, you can connect to your Linksys router with any device using the new username and password.
How to update the firmware of your Linksys Router
Updating the firmware of the Linksys router is a very important part as it helps in keeping the router up to date with the latest media devices coming out every now and then. The firmware update helps the new media devices connect with the router so that the user doesn’t have to go around buying a new router every time a new media device comes out. Keeping the firmware up to date makes sure the security on the router is up to date and is not vulnerable to any potential threats. All the sensitive information of the user passes through the router such as their banking details, their emails and passwords, their private information and more. So it is very important to keep the firmware up to date. The new firmware might also bring some new features to the router as well as bug or any issue fixes.
Here are the steps to update the firmware on the Linksys Router:
- Download the latest firmware from Linksys Support Site on your computer and save it to the desired location.
- Now, on an internet browser of your choice type www.linksyssmartwifi.com and press enter. A login page will display.
- Enter the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “admin” as well. The username and password are both case sensitive.
- Click on Administration and then click Firmware Update.
- Click Browse to look for the downloaded file.
- Locate and select the downloaded file from your computer. Click Open.
- Click the Start Update button to start the firmware update.
It is advised not to interrupt the process as it may corrupt the router and render it useless.
- Click Continue after the update is successful.
- Reboot the router so that the changes made can be implemented.
The firmware of your Linksys router will have successfully updated. You can now start using your internet as you desire.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered:
- How do I login to my Linksys router?
You can login to your Linksys router typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of a web browser and logging in using the default information.
- What is the default IP address of my Linksys router?
The default IP address of most of the Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1.
- How do I check for the Firmware update?
You can check for the firmware update by logging in to the router and accessing the web based setup page.
- Can I change the username and password for my router?
Yes, you can by following the on screen instructions on the web based setup page.
- Can I set up a Guest Network on my network?
Yes, you can setup Guest Network for any guests on your main network without letting them access your main network and its contents.
- If I reset my router, will I lose all my personalized settings as well?
Yes, if you choose to reset your router, you will lose all your personalized settings as well.
- Can I restrict any websites or any inappropriate content on my network?
Yes, you can restrict any inappropriate content or websites on your network using the Parental Control App.
- Can I recover my password if I lost it?
Yes, only if you have your password recovery enabled.
- Can I leave my router on indefinitely?
Yes, you can leave your router on for as long as you like.
What is the default information of Linksys router?
The default username and password are both “admin” for most of the Linksys routers.
Follow these instructions to change your broadcasting channel within your router through www.linksyssmartwifi.com.
- Open the browser with the help of www.linksyssmartiwfi.com. You also can type 192.168.1.1 on the URL of the browser to get to the web interface of the Linksys routers.
- Now, enter the login credentials and click on the Login button. If you have already set your credentials, then type those which you have set previously, otherwise type the default one.
- On the setup page, click on the Wireless tab and then go to the Basic wireless settings page.
- On the configuration section, Click on Manual radio button which will allow your wireless channel to set up the preference.
- Click on drop list arrow of the channel field and select the channel you want to fit within the field.
- Click on save settings button to keep the changes saved.
Frequency interference of other networking device
Interference of signals of other devices within your network issue cannot be prominently fixed by any particular alternative. But yea, the interference can be reduced with some adjustments. The user can make the changes in the network name along with the Wi-Fi password to reduce the interference within your server.
Follow these steps to change the SSID and Wi-Fi password within your Linksys Dual band AC1900 router
- Access the web interface of the router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com on the URL of the browser.
- It’s going to prompt you for typing down the credentials. Enter the username and the passphrase in the respective field.
- As soon as you click on the Login button, you get entered into the home page of the web interface.
- Now, go to Wireless then click on Basic wireless settings button.
- Select Manual and locate for the SSID, change it to your desired name within the Wi-Fi.
- Click on save settings button.
Pursuing the above steps, the interference of another signal within your service might get reduced.
Linksys firmware update also might resolve your issue, as sometimes the update of firmware within your router enhances the networking protocols, security mechanisms and administrative features within your router. It can be the major step to increase the efficiency of your Linksys router. Here are the steps to upgrade the firmware within your router.
- Before interacting with the interface of the Linksys, first, download your Latest firmware and keep it within your computer, somewhere safe and secure.
- Now, Launch the browser with www.linksyssmartwifi.com or you can also utilize 192.168.1.1 to get to the web interface.
- Enter the login credentials of your Linksys router. Type the default password, if you haven’t set your own password. The default password is the admin
- Click on the administration button and then Firmware upgrade.
- Click on Browser/Choose file button.
- Locate the file from the location where you have kept the download file.
- Click on the Upgrade button.
- Then, click on the continue button to initialize the process. After the termination of the process, the router will itself restart with the new firmware.